LIVE ONLINE CULINARY TOUR
Tour Duration – 1.5 hours (2 hrs when you include a sample box) | Ticket Price – £25
SPECIAL OFFERS – Each purchase for this tour includes a discount valid for £10 off per person on tickets for any of our scheduled tours for up to 12 months! If you opt to include a sample box, we offer a £15 discount if you provide a delivery address with a BA1, BA2 or SN14 postcode – see below for details.
Scheduled tour times: This tour available on request at a date & time of your choice (min. 2 days notice required)
This jaunt through Bath’s culinary heritage is a chance to enjoy a Savouring Bath tour from the comfort of your own surroundings, and a fun way to get to grips with the city’s food & drink culture!
We’ll reveal the lowdown on some of the city’s 18th century personalities who shaped the food industry at a time when it was an integral part of Bath’s burgeoning social development. Sally Lunn is given a spotlight, as is Dr William Oliver, but we’ll also look at historical foods from Bath, some of which are still available in the city today. There’s also a showcase of some of the figures in Bath’s modern culinary culture, who are shaping the city’s food & drink scene today.
As with all of our tours, this virtual version of our regular and much-loved Food Heroes tour, is delivered live by one of our expert guides, with opportunities to interact and ask questions. It is a unique way to enjoy Bath’s culinary scene without being present in the city, either to prepare for a visit, or just as a fun way to learn more about this curious part of the city’s heritage… there’s even a chance for you to sample some of the food & drink we’ll talk about during the tour!
For more information, scroll down to read our FAQ!
Included in this tour:
- Access to an online meeting so you can enjoy the tour from home! (best viewed on a laptop/desktop or tablet device);
- Highlights of Bath’s culinary history and heritage, and a focus on the city’s modern food & drink champions;
- The option to purchase a food & drink hamper with samples to be consumed during the tour;
- The option to have as many people as you like watching the tour on 1 screen;
- A maximum of 8 log-ins permitted for each presentation to encourage an enjoyable social environment;
- The opportunity to ask questions throughout the presentation via a chat facility;
- A comprehensive handout with dining, drinking & shopping suggestions for you to use when you visit Bath;
- A Savouring Bath map of the city highlighting some of our suppliers so you know where to go when you next visit Bath!
Optional Sample Box
Price – £50 per hamper
- Includes 4 different samples of food & drink reflecting Bath’s culinary heritage to be consumed during the tour;
- Each sample is enough for approximately 8 people (if you are taking the tour with less than 8 participants, the remaining samples will keep for you to consume within a few days);
- Full detail of the samples are only revealed after your purchase, but to give you an idea, each box includes at least:
- 4 x sweet buns (with decoration, for self-assembly during the tour);
- 250g cheese (suitably packaged to encourage longevity);
- a sample pack of loose tea leaf with strainer;
- A small amount of preparation in advance of the tour is required – full instructions are provided in the hamper;
- By consuming the samples during the tour, you will get to understand how they fit into Bath’s culinary heritage, and you’ll also learn about preparation and tasting techniques;
- Due to production & despatch limitations, sample boxes are only available for tours taking place on Thursdays, Fridays, or Saturdays, and only for despatch to UK mainland addresses (scheduled to arrive within ~24 hours prior to your tour); we can also only produce them with a minimum of 6 days notice;
- SPECIAL OFFER: £15 discount off hampers which have a delivery addresses with BA1, BA2, or SN14 postcode! We’ll apply this discount to your booking based on the address you provide in your booking request.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll need either a desktop, or laptop computer, or a tablet device, and a stable internet connection. Ideally, your device should also have a microphone and webcam which will allow you to interact with your Tour Guide. If you don’t have a webcam you won’t lose out too much, but not having a microphone makes interaction awkward, and may devalue your experience.
We’ll send you the link to our meeting platform (normally Zoom) for which you won’t need to have your own account, as you’ll just connect to the meeting by clicking the link. If you can connect to our meeting using your TV then all the better!… but connecting by using your phone will mean you won’t get the best from it as the screen is too small. Just make sure that however many of you are going to be watching, can all see the screen clearly.
Our virtual tours initially operated on a regular schedule during lockdown in 2020, but we have now moved to a request system. Complete our booking form to request your tour with us and as long as we’re available, we’ll provide your tour at a time that works for you. If (on the off-chance!) we’re not available at that time, we’ll call you to discuss and find a time you’re happy with.
Our tours are all provided from the UK so when you submit your request, please make sure you use times which are relevant to the time zone in the UK for the date of your tour.
We’ve provided talks in the past for social groups such as Women’s Institutes, and lunch clubs, and our virtual tour works perfectly in that context, or for anyone who’s planning a trip to Bath either as a group, a family, or individually.
If you’re in the UK, travel costs permitting, we can come to your venue to provide the virtual tour. Alternatively, you can join us virtually by connecting to our meeting platform online from your own venue anywhere in the world, with your own equipment. You’ll need a stable internet connection, a large enough screen for everyone to see, and a microphone connected to your computer so participants can ask questions. We also ask that you give us the opportunity to connect with you online a day or so in advance of your presentation to ensure all the technical bits & pieces are working perfectly!
With a bit of organisation, we can even provide sample boxes/hampers for your group to taste during the tour!
Get in touch with the details of your request, and we’ll get back to you within 48 hours.
Our tours take some advance planning in order that we can commit to delivering them at a time which works for you, so we need a reasonable amount of notice for any booking. Sample boxes are booked on a 48 hour despatch period so they reach you before your tour starts, and they take some time to prepare before they are sent out, so sadly our booking period is currently set to a minimum of 7 working days prior to any tour. We hope to reduce this eventually, but for now we’d be grateful if you could book your tour with some advance planning.
However, if you’re happy to take this tour without purchasing the accompanying samples, we can normally accommodate you with only 2 days notice.
No… they’re not entirely necessary, but they will make the tour more fun as you’ll be sampling a minimum of 4 products you’ll hear about during the tour, and we’ll also include some preparation and tasting techniques, so you really get to learn quite a bit more if you have the samples. Nonetheless, the tour can still be enjoyed without the samples if you prefer.
The products included in our hampers/sample boxes are not specifically for a certain amount of people. Each item comes to us pre-packaged by our suppliers, and we’ve generally found that there’s plenty of each sample to go round everyone who joins the tour, normally with some to spare!
So while the sample boxes/hampers are not specifically for a certain amount of people, we just recommend that there’s enough for about 8 people. However, if there are less than 8 participating in the tour, don’t forget that your tasty samples will keep for a reasonable amount of time, so you don’t have to consume everything as part of the tour.
During a Savouring Bath tour we never reveal the detail of what you’re going to be sampling in advance… this is because the feedback we’ve had in the past has told us that the element of surprise is one of the elements which makes our tour so fun! So we’ve duplicated this with our virtual tour. Nonetheless, you can find a rough idea of what’s included in the list above.
Samples included in the sample box for this tour are not appropriate for anyone who cannot each gluten/wheat or dairy product. Otherwise, there’s nothing in there which is weird, or likely to put you off, unless you’re picky or have any food or drink which you have a particular dislike to… in which case, the samples are likely not going to give you the best value anyway.
We always recommend that our sampling tours work best for those people who have a broad palette and an adventurous culinary spirit!
Creating our tours involves a huge amount of work and financial cost so we courteously ask that you do not record any part of our tour at any time. Doing so reduces the value of the extensive work we’ve taken to create this for you and risks the longevity of our business.
For further information please refer to our full Terms & Conditions.