LIVE VIRTUAL TOUR: FOOD HEROES OF BATH
Tour Duration : ~1 hour (or ~1 hr 30 mins when you include a sample hamper)
Ticket Price : £15 per device
90% of your payment for tickets on this tour will be donated to a local food-focussed charity.
Schedule : booking through 24th April 2021: daily Tues-Sat at 2pm, 4:30pm, and 7:30pm.
For tours on other dates/times, please complete a booking request and we’ll confirm your tour within 12-24 hrs.
Availability : Book up to 48 hours in advance. Sample hampers can be included on tours on Thurs, Fri, or Sat, and must be booked at least 6 days in advance.
Enjoy a fun jaunt through Bath’s food and drink heritage, on this culinary virtual tour!
Our virtual tour is an online version of our popular Food Heroes tour. Delivered live via Zoom by one of our expert tour guides, you’ll have chances to interact and ask questions.
You’ll get to hear fun stories of some of Bath’s historical food & drink influencers, and culinary curiosities, some of which are still available today. These include Sally Lunn and Dr William Oliver, along with other famous, culinary personalities of their time. We also include video detailing the work of a local producer, and even music relevant to some of Bath’s heritage food products.
Also included is a showcase of some of the popular locals, who are driving Bath’s culinary culture today. Plus, there’s recommendations on some of the city’s best places for great drinking and dining.
Taking our virtual tour is a unique way to enjoy Bath’s culinary scene without being present in the city. It’s a fun way to prepare for a visit, and learn more about this curious part of Bath’s heritage. There’s even a chance for you to sample some of the food & drink we’ll talk about during the tour!
For more information, scroll down to read our FAQ!
Included in your virtual tour:
- Access to an online meeting so you can enjoy the tour from anywhere (best viewed on a laptop/desktop or tablet device);
- Highlights of Bath’s culinary history and heritage, and a focus on the city’s modern food & drink champions;
- The option to purchase a food & drink hamper with samples to be consumed during the tour;
- The option to have as many people as you like watching the tour on 1 screen at no extra cost;
- The opportunity to ask questions throughout the tour, and to interact when tasting samples;
- A comprehensive handout with dining, drinking & shopping suggestions for you to use when you visit Bath;
- A Savouring Bath map of the city highlighting some of our suppliers so you know where to go when you next visit Bath!
Optional Sample Hamper
Price – £50 per hamper
- Each hamper includes at least 4 different samples of food & drink reflecting Bath’s culinary heritage to be consumed during the tour.
- Each sample is enough for approximately 8 people in 1 household/location. Any samples not consumed during the tour will keep for at least a week if stored correctly.
- If you wish to split 1 hamper between more than 1 household, please contact us before making your booking. We will be happy to discuss the practicalities to ensure this works to your advantage.
- Full detail of the samples are only revealed on receipt, but to give you an idea, each box includes at least:
- 4 x sweet buns (with decoration, for self-assembly during the tour);
- 250g cheese (suitably packaged to encourage longevity);
- a sample pack of loose tea leaf with strainer.
- A small amount of preparation in advance of the tour is required – full instructions are provided in the hamper.
- By consuming the samples during the tour, you will get to understand how they fit into Bath’s culinary heritage. You’ll also learn about preparation and tasting techniques.
- Due to production & despatch limitations, hampers are only available for tours taking place on Thursdays, Fridays, or Saturdays. They are also only available for despatch to UK mainland addresses. Hampers are despatched on a schedule to arrive within ~24 hours prior to your tour.
Frequently asked questions about our virtual tour
A device to connect with:
You’ll need either a desktop, or laptop computer, or a tablet device, and a stable internet connection. Ideally, your device should also have a microphone and webcam so you can interact with your Tour Guide. If you don’t have a webcam you won’t lose out. But interaction can be awkward without a microphone.
We’ll send you the link to join the tour via Zoom
You can connect to the meeting just by clicking the link . You don’t need to have your own Zoom account.
Joining the tour from a device with a large screen works best
Joining the tour using an internet TV is the best. But joining from a laptop, desktop, or tablet can work just as well. We don’t recommend joining us via a smartphone. Smaller screens mean you’ll miss out on some of the detail. As long as everyone joining the tour can see the screen clearly, nobody will miss anything.
Our schedule changes regularly according to our availability
We often advertise a regular schedule with tickets easily bookable via our website. However, sometimes our virtual tour is only available on request.
Tours can be booked up to 2 days in advance. However, if you wish to include a tasting hamper, we need 6 days notice.
If you can’t find availability on the date/time you require please complete our booking form. Once you’ve sent your request, we’ll get back to you normally within 12-48 hours. As long as we’re available, we’ll provide your tour at a time that works for you. If we’re not available at that time, we’ll discuss this with you to find a time you’re happy with.
We’ve provided lots of talks and virtual tours in the past for many different kinds of groups
These have included workplace networking events, Women’s Institutes, and lunch clubs. Our virtual tour is a great option for these contexts. They also work well for anyone who’s planning a trip to Bath either as a group, a family, or individually.
If you’re in the UK, travel costs permitting, we can come to your venue to provide the virtual tour. Alternatively, you can join us virtually via Zoom from your own venue anywhere in the world, with your own equipment. You’ll need a stable internet connection, and a large enough screen for everyone to see. A microphone is also helpful so that participants can ask questions.
Whether we join you virtually or in person, we can even provide samples for everyone to taste during the tour!
Get in touch with the details of your request, and we’ll get back to you within 48 hours.
We’re rarely available at short notice
Sadly, our tours are not available with less than 2 days notice. Tours including samples hampers are only available with a minimum of 6 days notice.
Sample hampers are booked for despatch 48 hours before your tour, so they reach you before the tour starts. Some samples are also freshly prepared just for your tour. This takes some time, so sadly means we cannot offer sample hampers at short notice.
However, the tour can still be fun without the samples. Including samples simply gives a stronger opportunity for context and adds even more fun to your tour.
No – they’re not entirely necessary
The tour can still be fun without the samples. However, including samples adds more fun and a stronger connection with what we’ll cover. With samples included, we’ll also cover some preparation and tasting techniques.
The products included in our sample hampers are not specifically for a certain amount of people
We’ve generally found there’s plenty of each sample to go round up to 8 people, often with some to spare! That’s why we advise that they’re appropriate for 8.
If there are less than 8 participating in the tour, don’t forget that your tasty samples will keep for a reasonable amount of time. You definitely don’t need to consume everything as part of the tour.
Sadly we are not currently able to produce hampers with the same range of samples, specifically for less people for this tour.
During a Savouring Bath tour we never reveal the detail of what you’re going to be sampling in advance!
This is because the feedback we’ve had in the past. Previous visitors regularly tell us that the element of surprise is one of the things which makes our tours so fun! So we’ve duplicated this with our virtual tour. Nonetheless, you can find a rough idea of what’s included in the list above.
Samples included in the sample box for this tour are not appropriate for anyone who cannot each gluten/wheat or dairy product
Otherwise, there’s nothing in there which is weird, or likely to put you off. If you’re picky, or have specific products you particularly dislike, the samples are likely not going to give you the best value.
All our tours are best suited to people who have a broad palette and an adventurous culinary spirit!
We courteously ask that you do not record any part of our tour at any time
Creating our tours involves a huge amount of time, energy, and financial cost. Recording the tour would reduce the value of the efforts we’ve taken to create this experience.
For further information please refer to our full Terms & Conditions.